I managed to make another horse in time for the exhibition. I tried acrylics this time but ended up doing quite a lot of coloured pencil work over the top, this seems to have become my medium of choice for horses. I added the costume afterwards then varnished him; I think I'll varnish the other one too, I quite like the sort of laquered look it gives them.
I had intended to add a mane (I draw or paint the mane in afterwards so it matches up on the neck/ body when the neck is moved) but managed to forget to do it before varnishing, I think I'll try to paint one in. I'm hoping to include this chap in a painting at sometime.
I love making these, I must thank Clive Hicks- Jenkins who inspired me to try. I'd like to make some more horses and have a go at some human figures and perhaps birds in the future, I've just ordered quite a large amount of paper fasteners!